We know that nutrition plays an important role in keeping your family happy and healthy. With work, school, and activities, it can be difficult to balance busy schedules with healthy eating. It’s also easy to get in a rut of eating the same meals and snacks. Fortunately, the wonderful cooks at U-GRO Learning Centres have great suggestions to practice healthy eating as a family while also keeping food interesting and exciting.
One of the easiest ways to satisfy the nutritional needs of your family is to add some new, simple, go-to snack recipes. Our healthy snack recipes are ones that you can make with ingredients you already have on hand. They’re also easy to change up with different ingredients, so you always have variety with your snacks. After all, you want to be able to reach for a healthy snack on busy weekdays or family outings!
It’s also fun to get family members of all ages involved in the kitchen, as it is a great way to teach children about food and how to make healthy choices.
To help compile a few healthy snack ideas for our families, we asked three U-GRO center cooks for their recommendations. Miss Joyce, Miss Beth, and Miss Amanda, along with our other cooks, help provide delicious and nutritious meals for our students each and every day!
Yogurt & Strawberry Bark
We love this simple, delicious recipe! The best part? You only need two ingredients to make it!
- 3 cups of Greek yogurt
- 1 cup of dehydrated strawberries
- Line a 9×13 pan with parchment paper.
- Pour yogurt into the pan and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle strawberries on top of the yogurt. Make sure the majority of the strawberry is in yogurt, not overlapping another strawberry.
- Place in freezer for a minimum of 4 hours.
- Remove from freezer and break into small pieces. Store any uneaten pieces in the freezer.
For this recipe, any fruit that you have on hand will work! This also makes it easy for everyone to choose their favorite fruit and create a taco that is unique to each family member.
Get children to help! They love spreading yogurt and sprinkling fruit.
- ¼ cup of yogurt per tortilla
- 1/3 cup of fresh fruit of your choosing
- Lay a single tortilla onto a flat surface.
- Spread yogurt evenly on tortilla.
- Sprinkle fruit on half of the tortilla.
- Fold tortilla in half to eat.
Nut-Free Trail Mix
The best part of this crunchy snack is that it’s versatile, so let your child put in whatever he or she likes. Omit or swap anything in this recipe. If your family wants to use organic or gluten-free ingredients, this recipe makes it easy to do so.
- ½ cup of Goldfish crackers
- ½ cup of pretzel wheels
- ½ cup of Cheerios
- ½ cup of Fruit Loops, or other cereal of your choice
- ½ cup of raisins
- ½ cup of reduced-sugar craisins
- Add all ingredients to bowl and mix evenly.
- Store in air tight container for up to three days.
Ensure your family always has delicious and nutritious snacks on hand with these recipes. What makes these snack ideas even better is that they double as activities that get the whole family in the kitchen. Don’t forget to share your healthy snack creations with us! Tag us on Instagram.
Looking for more ideas to keep your family happy and healthy? Get more fun recipes on our blog!