The warm temperatures have departed, the leaves are falling, and everywhere you turn you see the signs of the changing seasons. Before we know it, winter will be upon us. Before that happens take some time to explore fall science through some fun STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Math) challenges!
- Tissue paper
- Contact paper
- Science: Effects of Light; Color Mixing
- Engineering: Putting two pieces together
- Math: Counting the colors you see
- Real leaves
- Fan (hand-held fan for younger children)
- Science: Using natural resources; wind
- Technology: Broom, fan
- Math: Sort leaves by color, shape or size
Touch of Fall Guess Bag
- Fall items
- Brown bags
- Science: Using natural resources; textures – Take a nature walk and collect fall items or explore with magnifying glasses
- Technology: Tongs
- Math: Counting the items; sorting and grouping items
Recycled/Natural Materials Self Portrait
- Recycled materials
- Science: Reflection, facial features
- Technology: Mirrors
- Engineering: Creating a face
- Art: Creating 3-D art
Five Little Pumpkins
- Five pumpkins
- Variety of building materials – paper towel rolls, popsicle sticks, clothes pins, unifix cubes, etc
- Science: How do pumpkins grow? Stages of growth; What’s inside a pumpkin?
- Math: How much do pumpkins weigh? Size order – smallest to largest, tallest to shortest
- Engineering: Pose the challenge – Using the materials that we have, how can we create a structure to support these 5 little pumpkins?
- Any fall candy (gummy pumpkins, marshmallow pumpkins, candy corn, etc
- Engineering: Tell your child he or she has been chosen to create a centerpiece for a party. Create the
tallest tower that will stand on its own!
- Math: Count how many pieces of candy and toothpicks were used to make the tower