Are you a working mother starting to think about childcare options? If the answer is yes, you are probably debating between finding a childcare center close to your work or close to your home. Depending on your family’s needs, this may be a very hard decision. Here is a list of pros and cons for each option to help you figure out which location is best for your family.
Advantages of Childcare Near Your Work
- You are able to spend more time with your son or daughter throughout the day because the majority of your commute to and from work is spent with your child.
- Because the facility is near your workplace, you have the availability to check in on your child during the day if your center has an open-door policy. Working near your childcare center is also convenient for those times when your child becomes ill and you want to pick him up as soon as possible.
- It is easy for you to attend programs and other activities at your child’s daycare or preschool.
- You can visit the center if you are breast feeding an infant or need the space to pump in private.
- If necessary, you may be able to work a little longer at the end of the day because of the short commute from your place of employment to your childcare facility.
Disadvantages of Childcare Near Your Work
- If you have a long commute and your child does not enjoy car trips, the ride into work may be difficult for the both of you.
- Using a center that is near your work might limit the number of other people who can drop off or pick up your child on days that you require some extra help.
- Taking your child into the center on your day off, or when you are sick, can be time consuming and inconvenient when you are not spending the day nearby your work place.
Advantages of Childcare Near Your Home
- Dropping your child off and picking them up could be more convenient for your support system on days when you need the extra help of a family member or friend.
- If you happen to forget something for your child’s day at preschool or daycare, you are closer to home and can go back to get it.
- Your son or daughter is able to make friends with other children who live close to you, making playdates more convenient and allowing your child to establish early friendships with peers who may continue to be your child’s classmates throughout grade school.
- On days that you are off or sick, it is easier for you to take your son or daughter into the childcare center.
- You have a little extra down time in the car for yourself after dropping your child off or before picking them up.
Disadvantages of Childcare Near Your Home
- If your child gets sick while you’re at work, it may be difficult to pick them up quickly due to the distance from your work to the childcare facility.
- If you are paying for a specific set of hours per day at your childcare center, keep in mind the farther away you work from their location, the more time your child will spend in their care. By surpassing those hours, an extra charge will be given and your family’s overall cost for care will be affected.
- You will have less time with your son or daughter throughout the day because he or she is in childcare longer.
- If your child’s center is far from where you work, it will require more travel time to go back and forth for events and activities you would like to attend.
Choosing a childcare center can be difficult. We hope this article provides helpful information for you as you search for a center that works for your family. If you have questions about U-GRO, our FAQ blog post may help! Interested in touring one of our centers? Schedule a visit to meet with us.