Looking for an easy activity you can do with your children any night of the week? How about one that ends with a delicious treat? This Bird’s Nest Recipe is ideal for busy parents. It only requires a few ingredients, and there is no baking necessary!
Toddlers and preschoolers can have fun with this recipe as well! With adult supervision, children can lend a hand stirring the noodles into the melted butterscotch (or chocolate mixture). Have an adult check the temperature of the melted chips before a child stirs.
Young bakers can also help scoop the mixture onto cookie sheets and forming the noodles into nests. And of course, they can have fun choosing their favorite candy to fill each nest. That’s an important job!
- 1 2/3 cups (11- oz. pack) butterscotch or chocolate morsels.
- 2 (5 oz.) cans of chow mein noodles.
- 3/4 cup peanut butter- optional
- Mini chocolate eggs (or substitute colorful mini-marshmallows or jelly beans)
Remember, all good chefs should taste as they go. And don’t worry if things get a little messy. That’s what makes it fun!
- Line baking sheet with wax paper. Microwave morsels for one minute in large bowl. If needed, microwave mixture an additional 10-15 second intervals, stirring until melted.
- Stir in peanut butter until well blended. Add noodles, one can at a time, and toss until coated.
- With buttered fingers, shape mixture into individual nests. Use a spoon to scoop the mixture on the prepared baking sheet.
- Place in refrigerator to cool until firm, about 30-45 minutes.
- Fill with jelly beans, chocolate eggs or colorful miniature marshmallows.
Let your children get creative with their favorite colorful toppings to fill the nests. Invite them to the grocery store with you to help choose the toppings.