We’re often asked by potential families about The Blended Model® early childhood curriculum. We’re very proud of this unique, proprietary learning platform that was created by our Curriculum Team. The Blended Model® offers opportunities for structured, standards based, age-appropriate learning experiences, as well as self-directed exploration and play.
Explore, Learn, Play and Grow
The Blended Model® early childhood curriculum is designed to balance teacher-directed learning with child-led discovery. While the teacher-directed activities will help develop essential skills like learning numbers and letters, child-led learning and discovery will build problem-solving and decision-making skills. Child-led learning also provides children with time to explore topics that interest them the most.
A teacher directed activity can immediately lead into a child-led discovery, which allows for exploration, investigation and learning. This holistic approach will help your child build self-esteem and confidence which in turn builds future success in kindergarten and life!
Through teacher-directed activities in small and large groups, children will:
- develop listening skills
- learn to follow directions
- develop social skills
- build math, literacy and science skills
- create and respond through art, drama, and music
- strengthen physical skills through movement
Through child-led discovery, which includes independent play at learning centers throughout the classroom, children are able to:
- develop problem solving skills
- practice self-regulation skills
- learn to work cooperatively
- apply cognitive skills
- make discoveries and learn through hands-on experiences
Benefits of The Blended Model®
One of the most valuable benefits of blended learning in a toddler or preschool early education curriculum is that it gives children opportunities to lead their own learning experiences. For example, a teacher-directed lesson on backyard exploration can expand into several different directions during independent play, based on the interests of each child.
- A group of students may choose to further investigate the insects or rocks they find during exploration.
- Some students may wish to create a collage using natural materials they collected outside.
- Other children might immerse themselves in pretend play where they dress up and act out being explorers discovering a deserted island.
Additionally, blended learning allows students to develop healthy peer interactions and strengthens social-emotional connections.
If you’re interested in learning more about The Blended Model® and our unique approach to early childhood development, schedule a visit and speak with the Director at one of our U-GRO learning centers.